York Fairgrounds Convention & Expo Center
Memorial Hall East
334 Carlisle Avenue
York, Pennsylvania 17404
96 Selected Exhibitors featuring 18th & 19th century American, English, Primitive, and Period Furniture & Accessories – Fine Early China & Glassware – 18th & 19th Century Silver – Chinese Export Porcelain – Oriental Rugs – Fine Antique Jewelry – Pewter- Antique toys – Native American Artifacts.
These paper dolls–men, women and children– with extensive wardrobes of over eighty pieces, were found packed in three thread boxes. Their original owner had carefully packed them away and they remained undisturbed until the estate was dispersed. One box was labeled Loraine Robertson’s family. Most of the paper dolls had their name and age written in pencil on the back. Jack Colbern from Washington, Arthur Basset, Robert and Edward LeBaron, Wallace Terecia, Mrs. Rose Slesinger, Mary, John and William Neill (children of Alexander Neil III and Mary Simms Nelson Neill), are some of the personages represented in the collection. The
Neills also had a son, Alexander Neill IV (1868-1903), who served on the original board of directors of the Washington County Maryland Historical Society. Alexander lived in the Miller House, the headquarters of the Historical Society.
One dress was cut from paper with a Jonathan Street business address printed on the back. Among the various papers used in construction of the costumes is wall paper. Definitely clever, the maker also used the backs of ABC writing lesson papers. She cut gowns from paper and then stitched and glued fabrics to the paper dress shape.
A Hagerstown dress maker, or one of her patrons, probably Mrs. Alexander Neill, subscribed to Harpers Bazaar. Thus the dressmaker had access to the designs of the Parisian House of Worth. As a dressmaker to wealthy clients, she would have had access to a tremendous collection of beautiful scraps. Her selection of fabrics and lace would have been unlimited and of the best quality. You can see from these tiny costumes that they are constructed from bits of expensive textiles.
Maker: Probably Mrs. Alexander Neill, wife of Hagerstown attorney Alexander Neill III, or her dressmaker.
Origin: Hagerstown, Maryland.
Circa: 1880 – 1899.
Material: Twenty seven paper dolls and costumes of various fabrics, lace and paper.
Size: Vary from 1 1/8 inches to 3 inches H.
Provenance: Purchased from an estate in Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland.
More than likely this irresistible fellow was made for a little boy. Who could resist the charms of this honey brown mohair monkey, with an ear- to -ear grin, shiny black button eyes, funny ears and extra long curled tail.
The head is stitched to a torso constructed from four pieces of mohair. A face mask was cut from cotton fabric and satin stitched to the mohair head. Decorative satin stitching was popular with needle workers during the 1st quarter of the 20th century. The arms, legs and tail are two-piece construction, and are hand stitched to the body. His ears are lined with black sateen cotton.
Materials: Mohair with an applied and embroidered cloth face.
Size: 17” H.
Brown Woolen Fabric Monkey
Beware, these monkeys come armed with personality plus. They are totally irresistible.
Maker: Mrs. Martin
Origin: Maugansville, Maryland.
Materials: Tobacco brown woolen fabric and cotton hat and pants.
Provenance: Purchased at Mrs. Martins’ estate sale. She was an Old Order Mennonite.
An architectural gem, this elegant Second Empire doll house was built to house a little girl’s small dolls and furniture. It’s architectural design is that of a fine suburban mansion. The builder was well versed in current tastes and the nuances of the fashionable Second Empire style.
Louis Napoleon proclaimed himself emperor of France in 1851. He transformed the old city of Paris with grand boulevards, parks, and fine mansard roofed structures.
Between 1873 and 1880, the Second Empire emerged as an architectural tour de force in America.
The doll house has a French mansard roof with a double pitched hip roof and curved roof dormer windows set into the steep lower roof slope. Heavy moldings finish the juncture of the upper flatly pitched roof and the steeply pitched lower roof. Heavy moldings and decorative brackets support the roof eaves. It is designed with a five bay façade with four light windows. Architecturally shaped window trim and wood sills are applied to each window. The interior center stairs connect the three levels of the house. The mansard roof adds the third floor level. Partitions separate the house into four rooms.
The architectural design of the doll house is similar to residential designs illustrated in the 1873 architectural pattern book, DETAIL, COTTAGE AND CONSTRUCTIVE ARCHITECTURE, by A.J. Bicknell & Co.
Compare the façade and architectural detailing of The Union League building, located at Broad and Sanson Streets, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania with the doll house. It was designed by the architect, John Fraser, and constructed between , 1864-1865. The Union League and the doll house share similar architectural details. Both structures are architecturally related and exhibit Second Empire style features..
Doll house dormer roofs are curved like the dormers on The Union League. Tiny shaped shingles, intended to replicate slate, clad the doll house mansard roof. Similar corner quoins ornament the vertical exterior corners of both structures.
Godey’s Lady’s Book, a publication for women, sometimes included an architectural design for fashionable residence. A MODEL RESIDENCE, drawn expressly for Godey’s Lady’s Book, by Isaac Hobbs, Architect, Philadelphia, is similar to the dollhouse.
The above house was designed and built for Mr. C.S. Kauffman of Columbia, Pennsylvania.
The doll house was constructed when major changes in taste occurred. These changes began in the 1870s and continued until 1910. France was no longer the style setter for interior design. America looked to England for design leadership in the decorative arts. England replaced France as a source of fashionable wall coverings. English wallpapers dominated the better paper market when this dollhouse was constructed. American manufacturers adapted English designs and produced less expensive, affordable wall coverings.
At the time this doll house was built most residential rooms, including kitchens, were papered. Ceiling papers came into use.
Original papers remain intact on the walls, ceilings and floors.
The exterior of the doll house is painted two shades of gray. A lighter shade was applied to the walls and a darker used to accent the quoins, window trim, cornice brackets and roofs. Gray was probably selected as the finish color to simulate a cut stone façade. Brick was used for wall construction and trimmed with cut stone detail. The natural color of slate roofing is gray. It is possible that the doll house maker wished to simulate a stucco house with wood architectural details. We will never know. In any event, he created an architectural gem in ¾” scale.
Origin: Purchased from and estate near East Petersburg, Pennsylvania.
Materials: Painted wood.
Size: 20”W x 23 ¾”H x 13” D.
Provenance: Purchased from John Watson at Golden Lane Antique Gallery, New Oxford, Pennsylvania.
A miniature Chippendale pie crust tea table has the original surface. The central column has two swells. The lower swell is a bulbous turning with carved swirls. The pedestal is raised on graceful tripod arched cabriole legs, with ridged pad feet on platforms. Better tables had raised rims and sharp carving. The pie crust edge is well done. Overall it is a nicely scaled piece.
This doll house tea table is typical of full scale tea tables that would have been found among the furnishings of affluent homes.
This historically accurate period print documents a child with her furnished room and doll. Seated in the garden, a little girl places a hat on her doll while her mother sews. The furnished room sits on the ground beside her. A Chippendale tea table, with a pie crust edge, bulbous turned pedestal on arched cabriole legs and pad feet is the centerpiece of the doll’s parlor.
The scale of furnishings made for early toy rooms were generally larger in scale than pieces found in mid 19th century doll houses. Doll houses were rarely found in America until after 1850.
Circa: 1790 – 1815.
Size: 4 7/8”H x 4” diameter top.
Provenance: Chalfont Antiques and Marion Mauze Antiques.